Monday 12 March 2012

Visiting the Mayor's Parlour

Taking a pattern of the gown.
On the 23rd January we went to visit the Mayor at the Town Hall in Bournemouth.
We needed to speak to him about the requirements of the gown, show him samples of fabrics and take a pattern of the garment. This was a very new experience for me as I had never measured anything for taking a pattern before. We were invited into the Mayors Parlour where we were given tea and talked to him for a while before setting down and measuring. 
We drew diagrams of every panel, with its dimensions and shapes and took countless photographs. I was anxious to not miss anything but I think we worked effectively and efficiently. I feel as I got into the process of pattern taking my diagrams got more accurate and clear and I think in future I would improve more with this. 

Sleeve of gown showing wing. 
The sleeve was definitely the most complicated element of the gown, I think. It is made of 3 panels, the front and back of a 'wing' and a hanging decorative piece. The velvet trim circles it and a narrower fur trim lines the edge. 








The mayor then wore the robe, which was brilliant as you could clearly see how the garment fell, as well as the positioning of the sleeve. 

This meeting has made me more confident with the task ahead and I hope that the pattern taken will be sufficient when drafting a replica.

No comments:

Post a Comment