Tuesday 15 May 2012

Curving the Ribbon




On the original gown the velvet ribbon curves around the curve of the wing smoothly. I tried to pin the velvet trim around the curve but couldn’t do this without making pleats as it is not on the bias. I therefore decided to sew the bottom of the curve and then do all the corners before returning to the top of the curve. 


I spoke to Kat about this issue in case there was method of getting the velvet to curve. She told me there was nothing I could do and that I should form small pleats around the curve at regular intervals and that if both sides were the same and all equally spaced then it would look neat and not be noticeable.
I thought that this was the best option and therefore measured 10cm in from the corner of the trim and then placed pins at 2.5cm intervals. I had to experiment with  how was best to spread the pleats and how big each should be. In the end I decided that about 5mm should be pleated every 5cm.


I am pleased with how the pleats have turned out. I think they are barely noticeable and certainly won’t be obvious in photographs of the Mayor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment