Friday 6 April 2012

Sir John Leman



I have just found this portrait whilst trawling the V&A Collections and I was overwhelmed by what a fine example of an older gown this was.
Sir John Lenan (1544- 1632) was a tradesman from Suffolk, who became an alderman and in 1606 a Sheriff of London until he became Lord Mayor of London in 1616.

At this time James I was on the throne and the falling and standing band were coming into fashion. I think this older gentleman is sticking with past fashions as he is wearing a ruff and a doublet with slashing.

The sleeves of this gown have a T-shaped opening that is similar to some of the examples from the museum but they have fur in the opening and have the dramatic raised shoulders. I suppose these large shoulders meant that the mayor wouldn't need ties to keep the chains on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment