Saturday 28 April 2012

The Robes of Queen Victoria


I have looked a bit into Queen Victoria’s coronation before with my trip to Kensington Palace, I think she is a fascinating monarch ruling for so long in a patriarchal society. I think it is beneficial to look at coronation robes in my research as they are the most lavish robes.

Queen Victoria’s coronation took place I Westminster Abbey in June 1838. The coronation was notably less flamboyant than George IV’s in 1821 as there was strict control over the monarch’s spending after the expense of her predecessors. The robes were made by John Hunter and his final bill for all the garments was £2467 18s 6d.
This accounting breakdown shows all the elements used to make up the Coronation Robes which is interesting. It is fascinating to see what fabrics are used on a top of the range robe and how these influences trickle down to modern mayors robes.
This is the parliament robe, which consists of the mantle (the long trailing cape) which was made in 1838 for her coronation and a kirtle made in 1851 at a cost £118. I think the kirtle is absolutely beautiful, it is an elegant shape and evokes the medieval silhouette with the long hanging sleeves and yet the neckline and waistline is very contemporary Victorian. It is very similar to the example I saw at Kensington Palace

No comments:

Post a Comment