Monday 23 April 2012

National Art Library


When Aileen Ribeiro came to the AUCB to do a lecture on Hogarth I asked her where she did most of her research and where was a good starting point for me to look into Mayors gowns and she suggested the National Art Library. I have found the lack of books discussing Mayoral gowns or civic robes very limiting and frustrating.

When browsing the National Art Library however I found 2 books that I thought might be interesting:
  • Ceremonial Costume by Alan Mansfield  - has a chapter entitled 'Civic and Municipal Robes and Dress' which sounded ideal for the subject of Mayors robes
  • Rich Apparel, Clothing and the Law in Henry VIII's England by Maria Hayward - and its chapter on the urban elite/civic livery 
I registered and ordered these on Friday. The library have a system where you order books online and then every hour the librarians will find them and have them behind the counter for collection. Its a very different environment than a normal library where one can browse an area with the Dewey sequencing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment