Sunday 22 April 2012

I will forever have time for the V&A...

After seeing the beautiful gowns in the palace I headed down Exhibition Road to the V&A, where I spent the next 10 hours! (I will being writing some separate posts on the things I did there)

I was very keen to find some more images or information on Mayoral gowns in there collections, but no joy on that front. These are a few exhibits that I came across though that I thought were interesting in their use of gowns.
Charles II Giving Audience at Christ's Hospital circa 1680


I thought the above painting of Charles II that is on display in the British galleries was interesting. It shows the King at Christ's Hospital in London with governors, masters and children who are all dressed very lavishly. 


http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O78682/painting-charles-ii-giving-audience-at/



This is a wonderful temporary exhibit that is a modern interpretation of a gown. The silk has been spun completely by spiders and it is stronger than steel. The embroidery is of spiders and flora and is just beautiful! 




I also went to the Cecil Beaton exhibition on his portraits of Queen Elizabeth II. The portraits followed the Queen through her life from the whimsical war portraits that were trying to confirm Britain and the monarchy as an unshakable stronghold to genuine portraits of her with her family. This is a portrait of her wearing the robe of the garter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment